Papplewick was designed by the engineer Marriot Ogle Tarbotton for the Nottingham Corporation Waterworks Company. Between 1885 and 1969 Papplewick Pumping Station provided a supply of fresh water for Nottingham. The water was lifted by two James Watt beam engines from wells over 200 feet deep.
Because of its ornate decoration and spectacular architectural design, Papplewick is now widely regarded as Britain’s finest and most complete Victorian fresh water Pumping Station. It is still able to raise steam with its original boilers and operate the original James Watt engines. The Station can be seen in operation on steaming days.
A community led initiative ensured that the Station has been preserved and the Papplewick Pumping Station Trust was formed in 1974. An independent charity, the Trust’s main aims and objectives are to maintain the Station for future generations and to educate the community about its history, and the global importance of fresh water and the need to sustain it for future generations. To that end, the Trustees established the Water Education Trust (WET) in 2007.
- Papplewick Pumping Station website
- Nottinghamshire Heritage Gateway page on Papplewick Pumping Station
Video introduction to Papplewick
This video introduction was produced by Built Vision.